In its simplest definition an IP PBX (Internet Protocol Private Branch eXchange) is a system that connects multiple telephone extensions to the Public Switched Telephone Network (PSTN) via its internet connection. It also provides internal communication for a business. It is software based allowing it to provide additional services such as audio, video, and instant messaging communication utilizing the TCP/IP protocol stack.
There are many reasons why It has become very popular over the last few years as the cornerstone of a full featured business phone system:
It is a competitive business world out there. Any tools that a company can use to lower their operating costs without impacting quality can only add to their price competitiveness. Not only do the monthly subscriptions fees of these PBX systems compare nicely with a premise based telephone system, but they are also a good long-term investment. Some cost benefits include:
- Switching to VoIP lower priced calls for your whole company
- Free internal calls, even across global offices or cell phones
- Unified communication saves on employee time and increases collaboration
- More options for teleworkers
- No costs for moving, adding or changing employee phone lines
It has become more important to make your and your employee’s work efforts as efficient as possible. Working smarter, not longer is the goal now. IP-PBX is a great tool to assist in this goal in the following was:
- Keeping a stable connection between all staff members, regardless of location
- Collaboration and communication help encourage a productive workplace
- Features such as ‘simultaneous ring’ and ‘find me follow me’ means that employees can be productive wherever they are
- IP-PBX features are far simpler to use that traditional telephones. While employees might have struggled to complete tasks like establishing a conference call, all features are easy to manage with your PBX control panel.
It is important to be able to smoothly and rapidly adjust to current business conditions or changes in your business model. Something like a short term marketing campaign might increase inbound calls beyond your current capacity for a short time, limiting the campaign’s success. An IP-PBX solution is made to support scalability needs, either short or long term in the following ways:
- Increase capacity on demand for your business
- SIP Trunking allows for you to add only what you need, when you need it
- Hosted PBX often has IP phone booting, allowing you to scale your system from your internet browser
- PBX systems have unlimited scope for growth
Closely related to scalability, the flexibility of an IP-PBX solution allows your telephony platform to meet the needs of the business as it grows and changes.
- Changing offices or locations? With IP-PBX, phone numbers are easily moved from location to location.
- Mobile apps and integration for teleworkers allow the a telephone number to travel with the employee
- Call Quality and Reliability
Last but definitely not least. All the bells and whistles that a business enjoys with a high tech telephony solution won’t matter much if the callers experience a bad quality call. It is important to make sure that call quality is first and foremost when choosing and implementing an IP-PBX system.
- Options around the connection of your VoIP service to the Internet (SIP trunking) allow for more guaranteed quality and reliability
- Geographic platform distribution balances your load between service provider data centers
- Shortest Path call routing for ultimate quality and speed
- End to end encryption of data promises high grade security
As with any technology, there are a lot of factors that go into choosing a solution that is best for your solution. Beyond all of the benefits, it is important to pick from a list of experienced and reliable providers. The right provider for your situation will make all the difference in getting the right solution.
Teledata Select offers a whole range of services that will help you meet your business goals. Starting with a complimentary review of your current telecommunication bills to identify errors and find opportunities for savings, better service and more functionality. We also offer project management for new service implementation and infrastructure installs, including fiber and low voltage cabling. Call us at 404-257-1502 to discuss your current Telecom Service Solution and what you would like to get out of it. Or send us a note via This Link to start a no obligation discussion of your specific business technology needs.
John Hagan is President of TeleData Select, a Telecommunications Consultant located in Atlanta, Ga serving customers throughout the US and overseas. His company provides business solutions for voice, data, mobile and cloud solutions for both large and small businesses. Contact John or his team for a complimentary telecom audit to make sure you’re getting the best value for communication services. The savings you receive could offset the cost of purchasing a new Hosted or Premise based solution.